Mainsvetainės medisEnglishlietuviškai
About Us

External review of SKVC


Quality Policy

Mission, Statement&Strategic Plan

How to Find Us?

Institutional Review Reports
International Partnerships



Education in Lithuania

Currently running projects

Recently finished projects

Qualifications Recognition

Quality Assurance

Qualifications Recognition

Quality Assurance
Study Programme Evaluation Reports
A. Goštauto g. 12, LT-01108 Vilnius, Lithuania
Diploma assessment: +370 5 210 47 72

Fax +370 5 2132553

Study programmes assessment: +370 5 210 77 28
Working hours
7.30-17.00 Monday to Thursday
7.30-15.15 Friday
Lunch break 11.30-12.15

ActivitiesQualifications Recognition Admission to HEI

2013-03-09 10:02

Admission to HEI

Academic calendar. The academic calendar is divided into two semesters: autumn (usually beginning in September) and spring (beginning in February). Each semester usually covers 20 weeks. The last four weeks are allotted to examinations sessions.


Holidays: Christmas holidays from 25 December till the beginning of January, Easter holidays (duration varies from five to nine days), winter holidays: after winter examinations (one or two weeks), summer holidays: after spring semester (up to two months). In summertime some students do an internship during which they train for professional employment.


Admission. Admission to all Lithuanian institutions of higher education is based on competition. There is a fixed number of applicants admitted to study programmes. In order to enter the first-cycle university studies, a Maturity Certificate (school leaving certificate) or an equivalent qualification is required. To be admitted to the second-cycle university programmes individuals should hold a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification (usually in the respective field). In order to enter the third-cycle university studies, an applicant should have either a Master’s or a corresponding degree in the respective study field.


A foreign citizen must have his/her education documents recognised in the Republic of Lithuania. The evaluation and recognition of foreign school-leaving certificates and higher education qualifications is carried out accordingly by the CQAHE.


A foreign national seeking access to studies in Lithuania has to be proficient in the language of instruction. As a rule, the language of instruction is Lithuanian and an applicant has to pass the pass/fail test of the Lithuanian language. In cases of international programmes, when the language of instruction is other than Lithuanian, an applicant must pass a test to demonstrate his/her proficiency in that language. The test is taken at the institution offering the programme.


As rule of thumb, admission to studies is carried out in July. However, foreign citizens planning to study in Lithuania are advised to start application procedure as early as possible due to the fact that document recognition and subject equivalence identification procedures may take up to one month and sometimes longer.


Final examinations and theses/final projects

Colleges. Professional Bachelor and/or professional qualifications are awarded by a qualification commission after passing the final examination and/or defending the final project.

Universities. Bachelor, Master, specialized professional or doctoral studies are completed after the defence of a respective thesis. The viva voce defence of a doctoral thesis is public and announced to the whole academic community in advance.

If a student fails the final examination or final thesis/project, he/she may retake the examination or defend the thesis/project only in the following year.



Are you interested in studying in Lithuania?


We think you might have some questions on how to make it happen. Here are some tips to help you. Plan your studies in advance, give yourself a whole year to prepare and take into account the following steps:


How can I find a university or a college in Lithuania that is ideal for my career?

A list of all higher education institutions is available at: There you can find web addresses for every single university or college in Lithuania and see for yourself which one is right for you.


How much money will I need to finance my studies?

You can find  information about specific study programme costs in your selected Lithuanian higher education institution at or you can e-mail or call International Relations Office of the university or college for assistance.


What languages do I need to know in order to study in Lithuania?

Most programmes are in the Lithuanian language but there are certain degree programmes which you can study in English, French, German or Russian. There are numerous opportunities to learn the Lithuanian language while you are studying here and even combine it with your study programme. Applicants wishing to take a full undergraduate programme in Lithuanian can come one year earlier to enrol in a one-year Lithuanian language course and, upon successful completion, to start working towards obtaining their degree.

For information on what languages are available for your desired programme you should contact International Relations or Administration offices of the university or college.


How do I apply and what are the application requirements? Will I have to take an entrance exam?

You can visit the university or college web page to find out the application requirements and whether it is necessary to take an entrance exam for any specific study programme.


How will I know that all the papers have been accepted by the university or college?

Before you send your application to Lithuania, please make sure that you have all the documents the university or college is asking from you. Also, you need to know that all international students must legalise their Education Documents before sending them to a university or college. Documents are subject to legalisation (approved by "Apostille") if they have been issued in a state having acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention.

Applicants who have received their education in countries which did not accede to the aforementioned Convention must get double document legalisation:

·                    One from the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your home country;

·                    The other from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania or the Lithuanian Diplomatic Mission or Consulate in your home country (if the latter are accreditated for legalisation procedure).

According to the Law on Higher Education of Lithuania, every person who obtained his/her education in another country and is applying to an educational institution in Lithuania must obtain Legal Recognition of the Qualification.

The institution which will perform a formal evaluation and provide you with all the necessary documents is the CQAHE.


What other papers do I need before entering Lithuania?

Once you found out about your acceptance to a Lithuanian university or college you should then take care of your travel and residence documents. All foreign nationals (except citizens of the EU countries) who want to stay in Lithuania for more than three months must obtain a temporary residence permit (TRP). You can apply in the Lithuanian Diplomatic Mission or Consulate in your country for TRP.

You can find the exact application steps at here or contact the embassy or consulate.

When all the formalities have been completed, it is finally the time to pack up your suitcases, come over to the geographical centre of Europe, and start building the foundation for your career.


We wish you a pleasant trip and see you here!



    © 1995 - 2015 Studijų kokybės vertinimo centras    Dizainas: UAB „Dizaino Kryptis"